Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wristband

I wear a Make Poverty History wristband all the time. I don't care where I am or what I'm wearing. I heard somebody say once that they weren't wearing their's because it "didn't match the outfit". Stupid. I wear it because it matches who I am, because it represents something I firmly believe in.

Several times this year, people have asked me where to get one from, and how to buy one. Each time they've been relative strangers. Every time, I have felt the strongest impulse to do something nice. So in all cases, I've taken off whatever band I have on, and give it to them. Once, a person that I had given one to lost it within a week, and randomly saw me a week later. So I gave them the one I had again. Why? Because it's more important that they have it and remember what it stands for, because I can always get more, and it's already so firmly stamped into my mind and heart. Yesterday I gave away another one, to someone from one of my classes.

I don't want to come across as feeling very self-satisfied for doing such a little thing. Plus, I do lots of things that probably aren't very nice. But doing random nice things makes me feel good, and what's more, a $2 wristband for another person openly supporting and caring about making poverty history seems like a fair trade to me. (Ha. "Fair trade"... Make Trade Fair. I'm a poverty nerd.)

9 comments:

  1. First comment! haha. That post was posted at 4:44. Just thought you should all know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my friends broke my make poverty history band.. shattered. but i to never removed it from my wrist.. no matter what i was wearing or whatever..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed shattering. I will give you a new one. Your last sentence didn't make sense. FIX IT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear mine no matter what I am wearting, too. Yess! Although I have never given it to anybody. I think it's awesome that you've done that. I now actually feel uncomfortable with it off, I have worn it so much. Is this a bas thing? I don't know. I used to not be able to stand having thewm on at all, but I pushed through the uncomfortableness and now I am used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. **even if it didn't match what i was wearing. sorry, im sick i shouldnt have to produce coherent sentences

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dnot have one.
    i used to, also, it broke.
    im glad you dont take it off no amtter what your wearing.
    a cause isnt a fad, its a statement.
    its not a trend, its a belief.
    wow.
    im so hardcore and hawwtt and passionate and whatnot about you wearing your wristband.
    keep it ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    xx plj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Out of curiosity, where do you get them?

    I saw Beige wearing one in the Serial Drama Movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jono: It is good thing. Wear lots. Wear it on your face.

    Kirst: Fixed. Good.

    Emmalee: I will give you one. And yes you are hardcore ha. Keep on keepin (it) on. Plj.

    Em: You can get them from Oxfam (stores and online), Oaktree events, Makepovertyhistory.com.au, and several other places. Winner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend got one from darkzone once... I think.

    ReplyDelete