Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Recap

Well, this is it. It's been a month since I returned, and I've been putting this off, because it's so incredibly difficult for me to write. When people ask me 'How was the trip?', I have absolutely no idea how to respond. It's not the greatest of questions, but the answer is so great and so hard for even myself to comprehend, that I really do struggle to express what Zero Seven meant to me.

By now, you're probably reading the fifth or sixth re-write/edit of it, which just emphasises the difficulty of this task for me. I'm not going to write in great detail or length about the specifics of our activities. Too hard, too much. Stuff you can come talk to me/email me about.

The reason why Zero Seven made me so excited and reignited my fire is because I was around so many other excited, passionate people. Passion, as I have mentioned, is very contagious. Even when you disagree with someone, you are being passionate about disagreeing. It was really encouraging to know that there are so many others out there that genuinely care about a better world, and believe that we, of the First World, should not get to leave ignorantly in luxury whilst those of the Third World (which was inadvertedly created through the building of the First) suffer. I loved being around so many advocates for change, so many hearts filled with fire.

I also love having connections to people. You may have experienced this before, but sometimes on camps and holidays and anything that is removed from everyday life - people interact differently. They're more open, they hide themselves less, and they are more honest. Zero Seven was like that for me... but times 100. The rate at which you could build friendships with people, without any pretense or predetermined image, was incredible. The only sad thing about these sorts of trips (for me: Germany, GYLC, Zero Seven), is that once they're over, people go back to everyday life, and slowly the excitement begins to fade.

Luckily, I've been able to still hang out with excited people such as myself, which keeps my fire well and truly burning. Admittedly, I became passionate on my own, but that is another post for another day. Nowadays, what keeps me burning a lot of the time is other people.

Zero Seven was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It has encouraged me that my hope for a better world is not alone, and not unreasonable. It has re-excited me, and re-inspired me to continue doing what I do, and challenged me that I can still do so much more.
Zero Seven is not over. We are a campaign for change and for 0.7% GNI and for awareness and many other great things. And it's not over till change has happened. Which means I have a lot longer to finish this post. The end... for now.


Team Chong: Pretty much the best team of all time.

4 comments:

  1. Zero Seven really sounds like a fantastic experience. It is so great that you have been able to share with so many others this awesomeness, and I hope your fire can keep on burning for a long time to come.
    I know the feeling of being on trips/camps etc. and I know how good they are, and how bad it is when they end, but you have to realise what it is that got your fire burning on that trip/camp, and keep fueling it. I look forward to readin this rumoured post on your motivating yourself, etc. Sounds interesting.
    I think this post is great, and it expresses some of how good you are feeling about it, which is cool. Post good. Thankyou for post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to put into words some of your feelings surrounding Zero Seven. It's exciting to see you wanting to stay connected with the people that you shared the experience of the 'road trip' with. It is wonderful to hear about your continued enthusiasm surrounding the awareness, but more importantly the response, to global poverty (and specifically the responsibility of the 1st world to get off our apathetic bums and start seriously addressing the issues). My prayer for you is that the fire continues to burn within, even when the event itself has long faded. I pray that you infect all of us with this desire to see a more Godly world- a world of justice for those oppressed by others lifestyles! Great blog.
    Peace
    Sime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome.

    I saw the DVD, so know I have some idea of what you guys did. And I saw lots of Digger on it, and Kel.

    That's supergreat that your fire is burning (oh no! he has burnt his mustache and it is bernin'!) and that you're all passionate-like. Awesome.

    Notice how I started and ended with the same word? Damn, just ruined it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jono: I'm glad my feelings got through on this blog... as it is more emotive than descriptive. I have realised what it is that got me burning, and I wrote about it. That's why I continue to make the effort to surround myself around those people. Because even in a place like church, where we are meant to be called to care for the poor, so many do not. Which is bad. But also off topic here.

    Sime: I thought that feelings is what those who had not been there would best connect with.. not details. I have so much hope for a better world, and so much anger at the current one. Thank you for your prayers. I pray that same for you, as you are also a man seeking justice.

    Em: Yes... haha, my mustache is bernin'. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete