Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fundamentalism

This week we're doing an interesting topic in International Studies on Religious Fundamentalism.

What got me to write this post though was something someone said in my tute yesterday. They are a very (self-confessed) science-oriented person. This is what they said: "In my view, religion and religious people are just so close minded, because they're all like, 'Do what we do or you'll go to hell', blah blah blah, crazy dancing and shouting and stuff."

It made me really angry because this person had clearly not even attempted to explore religions of all types and have an understanding before criticising. They had just taken what they had seen on tv and film - like the guys in Borat, and society's stereotype and adopted it on their own to try and seem clever. How close minded was that?! Here is a clip, which is pretty much about the very same thing, from everybody's favourite show, Family Guy.



I left the beanbags bit in there because it makes me laugh.

I am hesistant to even comment on other denominations of Christianity, let alone the numerous other faiths in this world. I respect them, and I intend to do some exploration in this lifetime, but until then I am not going to badmouth them with no real grounds to stand on.

What I wanted to say at first was really angry and attacking, but I didn't say anything. Firstly, because I didn't want to start any conflicts and have to awkwardly deal with them for the rest of the semester, but also because I didn't want to seem like the crazed fanatic she was so quickly labelling those who follow a religion. That said, we are talking about it again next week, and I am thinking about things I can say that are constructive.

There have been quite a few instances of comments like that at uni. Sometimes people are just cynical for the sake of being cynical or trying to sound intelligent. It's not unintelligent to sound hopeful and optimistic. In any case, I don't mind if they are against some things, or lots of things, as long as they have grounds to back it up and aren't wildly slinging accusations or just adopting a very broad generalisation from media representations. I understand that you can't help but be influenced. But at least try and be informed too. That's one of the fundamentals of a good, constructive discussion. Instead of inviting a heated argument.

8 comments:

  1. i think, especially the media, influences the way religions in particular are viewed. Especially when so often, the religions that are mentioned are in the form of cults and "brain washing" and "rituals" are also mentioned. It is easily to be influenced by something you hear everday than to explore yourself, and seek answers as to what particular religions are really like.
    i agree with you movies such as borat, and other television shows get comedy out of "bagging" or potraying religions in a bad light, leading to this particular view.
    i am proud you didnt just jump down her throat and tell her she is wrong, because regretfully, some people are in fact like that- in the sense some people that find god do in fact believe themselves are better, however, there are many many more who do not.
    i cant wait to hear the constructive things you have to say next week in retaliation.
    Peace love jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, get annopyed at how people see things like Christianity before they understand them properly. It frusterates me and makes me not like that person and not want to talk to them, which is also stupid.
    But I really didn't understand how the Family Guy clip fitted in whith what you are talking about. I can draw some minor connections, but I was wondering what it was oyu had in mind when including it...
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmalee: I do not know what I will come up with. It is very easy to be influenced, but I hate when I know I'm just spewing out something that somebody else put in my head without having considered about it.

    On the topic of "bagging", somebody else said this: "It's so much fun to bag religious people". She later said she was religious. Wanted to give her a shot too.

    Peace Love Jazz.

    Jono: Yep, it's with all religions, not just Christianity. The Family Guy clip fits because Peter sees something on tv he thinks sounds intelligent, so later, when trying to appear intelligent again, he just repeats it without any thought. Just like this person in my tute had done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People always fear what they do not understand. I believe that once we move away from a fearful response to ANYONE we can enter into a hospitality place of equality, where we can acknowledge the uniqueness of everyone’s experience of life. Sound convoluted? That wasn't my intent because I actually believe it. How easy is it to bag out someone when you don't even know them? Once you get to know someone as a person and a human being you begin to realise that they are unique, shaped, and influenced by their experience of life. The barriers can be reduced, if we can see people as people, rather than something that is alien to our own experience. Don't know if I make sense, but I'm throwing it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you make sense Simon. And thanks, Ben, I thought it might have meant something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with this. It frustrates me when people are so narrow-minded. We've been studying world religions this semester and it's made me realise how ignorant I am and how many stupid, narrow-minded comments I must have made (and still make) about other religions.

    It's strange hearing you talk about this, Ben, because I'm struggling from the opposite angle: Christians being ignorant and unwilling to learn and understand other religions. Some of the comments made in class frustrate me and I got quite angry at one of the boys this morning, but at the same time, to attack would sound like I think I have all the answers (arrogant, hypocritical, judgemental Christian image yet again.) This is all so confusing!
    Good blog, Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It frustrates me when people call religious people close-minded and attack them... what frustrates me more is when the religious people live up to these negative stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sime: I believe the same as you, that it would be like that after we move away from a fearful response. But I don't believe a fearful response will ever be eliminated. It's too much of an instinct.

    Jono: Yes. Shallow and pedantic. Yes, I agree, shallow and pedantic. Mmmm, I also agree, shallow and pedantic... Perhaps.

    Kyla: There is a whole lot of ignorance in the world, and though you talk about 'sides' (eg. Christian viewpoint and secular viewpoint), perhaps that's why there is so much ignorance? Because people get put in groups or choose their own teams, etc. What if we were all on the one team? Then again... I think I'm dreaming now.

    Em: Totally agreed.

    ReplyDelete