Tuesday, August 14, 2007

From Little Things...

After a conversation with someone over the weekend, I decided to write about this gem of wisdom that came out of Surrender: "Do little things with great love."

For a person like me - who gets very caught up in doing projects and running things and joining things (and incidentally, finds it hard to say no to people) - this is especially relevant. It's part of the reason why I burnout so much. I get far too caught up in trying to do big things that will change people's lives or my life or the church or the world, and then forget that the reason behind doing all those things is because I care about people, and do it for them.

A prime example is from the Africa Aid dinner last year. It was a big event, and in our very naive, new stage, we were thinking mainly about raising big money (for reference, it raised $2200 in a night). We invited a group of refugees from camps in Sudan to come along, and they sang for us, and it was my highlight of the evening. Their leader, Martha, spoke about how it didn't matter how much money we raised. How when they were in their refugee camps, and heard about some sort of money coming in, it wasn't much of a big deal because they knew that, for the most part, they wouldn't see that money anyway. Martha cried while she told us that what deeply touched them was that there were people like us - young and foreign and strangers - that cared about them and wanted to help them, even though they had nothing to give us in return. That's why I do Africa Aid. But sometimes, you get too caught up in meetings and paperwork and logistics and boring crap, and you forget about the heart behind it all.

To simply have a conversation with a lonely person is just as valuable as running an aid organisation. They are at very different positions on the scale of largeness, but possibly, sometimes, the former is higher on the scale of love - if you are like me and get bogged down in stress levels. Like the old adage says, "From little things, big things grow." Whatever you do with love and with care, plants a seed that can become something much larger. For instance, Amnesty International began with a British lawyer, Peter Benenson, who wrote articles and letters to his local newspaper on behalf of two Portuguese students, who had been imprisoned for raising their glasses in a toast to freedom. This relatively small act of selfless care gathered so much support and feedback, that a commitee was started to help gather and collect it all, and use it to help free the students. From that, one of the largest human rights organisations in the world came into existence.

It is so easy to show love, if we try. Unfortunately, it's probably easier to just not show anything at all. But I think everybody has some sort of dream for a change in the world. It might not be a very big change, or a very big dream, or a positive change, but people dream. But to change the world, you must first change your world - and that includes yourself, your family, your friends, your community. They all need love in some way or another. Might I be called idealistic, a dreamer, 'weak' for thinking like this? Yeh, probably. But I don't care, because I believe it. So for all of us, to do little things with great love, instead of the inverse of big things with loss of love, is something I find to be very valuable indeed.

10 comments:

  1. I have always thought of helping those closer to home as what I am called to do. This is not to say that I don't love the ideas of foreign aid as well, it is just that I have always felt the need to focus around you, as well. I think it is great that you have found this realisation, that small things are just as important. I definately do not think it is 'weak' to think like this. I went through a stage where I thought because I generally was more inclined to feel like helping those closer to home, I was copping out, but after much thought, and words from others, I realised that this is not weak. No.
    Ben, everything you do already is so awesome, and oyu show love to so many people. Keep it up, it is awesome. I loved that you wrote this blog, and put all that stuff out there, on the happy fun world of internet. Good blog.
    And yes, the internet is a happy fun world. I had happy and was fun on the internet. Does that make sense? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jono: It is important to do big things too though. I think. As Christians we are also called to care for the poor, and the voiceless, and those we do not know, but should still love. You may be called to help at home, but we are still called to help all over.

    It is not right to sit back and say, "I have done enough," when you have done something very close to you, but ignore the world of suffering outside your own. I am not accusing you of doing this all the time. But we all do it some of the time.

    It's all about balance. Maybe we should combine to form a Megazord. That would probably be the most logical solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megazord sounds awesome. But I also meant people close to home that I do not know, maybe even moreso. Like people in our neighbourhood who need help sort of thing. There are also poor people close to home. But I don't want to sound like I am making excuses. I still want to help overseas.
    Megazord megasword. Then we will win. Yesss! That should be the symbol for world peace, not that stupid circle with lines in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jono: Oh I am aware there are poor in our community too. I did not mean simply overseas. Helping anyone is good.

    I feel like we all sit back and say "Yes, I have done my bit for now" at times. But it's never true. I feel like even though we can sit back in those times, those in the world that suffer through the actions of others keep on suffering.

    The Bible says that the last will be first and the first will be last. In order to be last, we must first serve those who are last in society, and humbly place them higher than ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog Ben. It is a profound challenge to do "little things with great love". Sometimes I do things that could be perceived as loving, but I do not have a loving intent. To love intentionally brings narrows our focus to the present moment, recognising the beauty, truth, and mystery within every conversation. Not treating the mundane as a mere 'time to kill' but rather a space of opportunity to show how much we love, through the little, simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sime: I am the same with the things that could be perceivable love, but lack the actual love behind it. Lots of things become mundane. But I've been pretty positive lately, and that line keeps ringing out in my head, and is helping me remember what's important about what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i completely agree with you.
    i find when you write about the things you believe in, and you are so passionate, it inspires other to do more than what they are doing.
    I think in the long run- the things you are doing for the people around you, and even the people you do not know, are worth burning out sometimes.
    i know you give and give and give yourself, and i know the effort and love you put into most of the things you do.
    i understand you find it hard sometimes and struggle to stay passionate, but it is the fleeting times and hardships that makes what you are doing worthwhile.
    i think everything you do should be in love.
    that was honestly, an inspiration monash :]
    i am so proud to know you, and be friends with you and a part of your life.
    PEACE
    LOVE
    and
    JAZZ
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emmalee: Thanks so much for the comment, I really appreciate hearing such meaningful and positive feedback from people.

    It is not the hardships that make what I do worthwhile, but times like with Martha. The hardships are what remind me that it's not an easy road to help people and to give of yourself, but it makes it all the more worthwhile when things like Martha come along... So I guess. You are right. haha.

    I am too, proud to know you, be your friend, and a part of your life. Thank you again.

    Peace love jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good post.
    I've been a long time believer in 'little things with great love' etc...

    I used to feel bad because I wasn't doing something big in the world, I wasn't rasing lots of money or starting organizations or going to other countries or whatever, and I felt like I had to be doing those things.

    One day I will probably do some of those things. But until I do, I'm doing small things with great love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good start Em. One Day. Speaking of which... ask me about One Day, because it's something you can do that I just thought of! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete