Friday, February 29, 2008

29

Happy Bissextile Day!

Apparently, there is a tradition that on leap days, woman may make a proposal of marriage to men. Wikipedia tells me that in "1288 the Scottish parliament under Queen Margaret legislated that any woman could propose in Leap Year...Another component of this tradition was that if the man rejects the proposal, he should soften the blow by providing a kiss, one pound currency, and a pair of gloves (some later sources say a silk gown)." How awesome is that?

Lady: "Will you marry me?"
Man: "Sorry love, but here's a dollar - buy yourself something nice - and some old gloves I found in the dumpster. Wanna make out?"

Happy birthday to all my "leaplings" out there. That means you Ja Rule.

Peace out.

5 comments:

  1. Now I'm highly disappointed that you acceptd my proposal.. I would infinitely prefer a pound and a pair of gloves. You can keep the kiss.

    Bissextile is an awesome word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy yourself something nice Kyla. You've earnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dang! I missed the day, now I'm gonna have to wait another four years.
    By then I will be 23. Okay that's creepy.

    Did you get any marriage proposals, bc?
    If yes, did you accept or reject?
    If no, why?
    If both?, then say something silly.

    I agree, bissextile is an awesome word. I'm going to google it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben,
    I love your random information. You have a treasure store full of useless facts and figures. Thank-you for brightening my otherwise dull day.
    Love and hugs
    Sime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em: That's right. 23. I'll be... 24 turning 25 I think. I am not in the mood for counting. But that is a scary number.

    Yes, did get a marriage proposal. Said yes, and the silly girl regrets her choice, as she missed out on the awesome consolation prize, as you can see above.

    Sime: My life goal is to actually be Wikipedia. One day. Love and hugs? Ha.

    ReplyDelete