Thursday, June 07, 2007

Motivation

Contrary to what you might think I'm writing about, this has nothing to do with exams or study.
I'm writing about inspiration, and how awesome it is when it gets you and you get all excited and energised about doing something, and then how irritating it is that that fades away. Ironically, this post was inspired by someone else: Kyla's blog.

I am a person who is quite, not very, but quite easy to inspire. I find it easy to grab hold of ideas and run with them. Therefore, I have had quite a few moments when I have been filled with energy to do things, specifically acts on social justice or faith involvement.

For a few days/weeks, I generally motor along at high speed, doing lots and being excited and having all these ideas and thoughts in my head. However, I always slow down and go back into cruise mode (although sometimes it is at a higher level of cruise than before), and this is what irritates me - I want to be excited ALL THE TIME!

This motivation, and then stalling of it, sometimes leaves me in a situation where I'm so far involved in something or, in my case, have started something, that I feel in too deep to back out of. I am often told this is never the case, that I cannot back out, but I also find it hard to let go of things when they are my ideas/work, etc. This is not to say I don't want to be part of it anymore, but it means I am part of it, and then get stressed I am not feeling as part of it. Possibly contributes to my burnouts.

I think that there is all this energy inside me already, but it sometimes needs something to come along and spark it, or reignite it, so it gets moving again. I wish I could just do it at will. Motivation can get you lots of places, even if you are lacking in talent or skill.

So now I sit, while in the middle of exams, organisation for the Zero Seven roadtrip, organisation for Africa Aid, running of Garage, Social Justice team at Church, numerous other projects... and wait for something to reignite me. Hopefully soon.

6 comments:

  1. its hard to sit here and write an awesome response that you will be like "WOAH! THAT WAS SO AWESOME! MY LIFE IS SO MUCH MORE COMPLETE NOW THAT I READ THAT!! IM GOING OUTSIDE TO PLAY ON SOME SWINGS IN THE PLAYGROUND AAND SING TO MYSELF"
    but no. it doesnt work like that. i hate the fact that you go through times where you feel so down and so deflated. but i am here. you know i am. and if you dont know then WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. caps lock by accident? you will never know.
    .. and i will never tell you.
    i think its awesome you get inspired so often. i do not. sometimes i do.. most times, i do not. it takes something really big to smack me in the face with a fish and yell "TELL ME YOUR NAME B*TCH" for me to feel as if i would like or attempt to do something.
    there was some swearing in this paragraph, im so ashamed. perhaps my punishment should be DRINKING tea? cos its so gross and stuff?
    Peace love jazz.
    worst comment EVER.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s do you trust me? HAHAHAHAHA good. incorporated last blogs joke. i wish i could link it. you probably can but im not that smart.
    p.p.s caps lock wasnt by accident. did i just wreck it? yes i did.
    p.p.p.s jono... i realise i answer my own questions. DEAL.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swings on the playground?
    Sing to myself?
    Caps Lock?

    That was quite a funny comment. I laughed. But also, yes I know you are. Thank you. The same applies to you.

    Tea is not gross. It is magical and I will not have you say these things. Apologise!

    PLJ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the best type of tea?

    I also don't have anything to write really to motivate you or inspire you... because I'm not motivated or inspired to...

    I do know what you mean though. And it is very annoying/hard to deal with.

    Baa baa Chong sheep have you any wool?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand lack of motivation thing. Maybe not to the same extent, but. TO me, simple things can reenergise me, like rian, or music, or something. IS this the same for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em: The best type of tea? I think just the normal one. Grey? Black? I don't know. The normal one.

    Yes I do have wool. Unfortunately, it is both allergic to me, or I to it, and it does not provide motivation.

    Jono: Yes both simple and complex, and also sometimes unidentified, things can motivate me. I wish I could define EXACTLY what would and would not motivate. If only.

    ReplyDelete