Thursday, July 03, 2008

Half-Yearly

We're not exactly half way through the year, but here's some stuff I've been thinking about.

I've halfway through my course! That's crazy man.

Life is awesome. I'm pretty sure that now I write that, I'll become more aware of something crap, but that's ok. God and people around me (familiar and strange) have always gotten me through.

Africa Aid, Elev8, everything are whipping me in meetings, work, planning, etc. I love it. I'm tired. I'm excited.
I'm also excited to be starting boxing on Friday. Since it's a trial first, I'm hoping that it's fun and challenging and that we can keep on doing it. Otherwise, we'll just move on to something else.
I've also been playing lots of basketball lately with little brother. We ball hard... / pretend.

I have watched listened to this song four times straight. Haha, twice on MySpace, twice on YouTube. Awesome? I think you'll agree. It makes me want to have another crack at guitar and song writing. See below below below.

I ran a Veta session on Monday that, apart from being an awesome meal together that we all cooked dishes for, had a great sharing environment for open and honest discussion of our years so far. I asked three questions: "What has been a highlight for the year?", "What is something you've been struggling with?", and "What is something you're looking forward to?" I can't remember my answers, so here are new answers.
1) I've got lots of highlights. I'm very thankful for the healing of my skin.
The new challenges in the things I do, especially of Africa Aid, have been really rewarding when achieved, and just makes me more excited to tackle the next. Of course, I get tired, but that just leads to another highlight - the continual support, encouragement and love shown to me by my family, friends, K, and all others in my life.
I'm also starting to think seriously about music again (or probably, for the first time), and I'm motivated to try and become a better musician because I want to make something beautiful, not because I want to impress or anything other pretentious feelings I might have had in the past. Besides, what I can do isn't really that impressive.
Finally, last year didn't end on a great note in terms of some friendships in my life, but this year has been full of new friendships or growing of some into even more meaningful and valuable parts of my life.
2) I told my Veta group that I've been struggling with fear. I think it's more like insecurity. I get so caught up in doing things and taking on projects that I forgot my limits and capabilities. I like to think I'm a fairly capable individual, but I can't be so ignorant as to think I can do everything. I need people. Other people do things better than me. Unfortunately, in the midst of organising, planning, stressing, I forget to delegate or ignorantly/arrogantly think that if I don't do something, it won't get done; or that if I let someone else do it, it won't be done well. So, I stress and take on stuff, and then what I fear is that I won't be able to reach the goals that I set. Realistically, if I trust my teams and support, who are all awesome people that, when I think about it in this frame of mind, would definitely be able to take on those projects...we could do really great things. Much bigger than what we're aiming at now... But let's not get ahead of ourselves. So. Trust. Fear. Insecurity.
Also, I get annoyed at catching up with friends. I'm crap at it. Because there is a group of friends that I see on a regular basis, it's easy to become complacent and not try hard with the others. Then I get discouraged if I do try to organise something and whoever I'm trying to meet cancels or isn't free, etc. It's irrational. I need to be better at it.
As I wrote in 'Vocation', I have been thinking on and off about how much I have to give up or need to sacrifice to be able to properly serve God and people. Perhaps it's not that I have to give up everything, but I think it's an indicator of my consciousness telling me that I'm probably spending too much time and money thinking about material things that aren't really necessary. This year I've come into more money than previously and it seems to disappear so easily. Even if I don't give up everything, I should make sure I control myself and keep my irrational desires in check.
3) I'm looking forward to the Philippines. I know my eyes will be opened, I know I'll be challenged, I know I'll get angry, I'll be inspired, I'll be hurt. It'll be good for me and I'm also looking forward to spending time with the team.
I'm starting to read more and write more, like I used to, and I love it.
I look forward to sport, because I miss it and it makes me happy.
I'm looking forward to growing more relationships and meeting more people, especially at uni.
Red Frogs will be interesting.
Summer. I'm hoping that all the hype I built up in my head of freedom when I got my license will actually somewhat exist. Ha.
So that's that. I'd love to know your answers on highlights, struggles, points to look forward to. Hope your 2008 is going great, that you're able to tackle your challenges as they come, and that the rest of the year will be beautiful. Peace.

4 comments:

  1. I actually had to click 'older posts' TWICE before I found the posts I was up to.
    Shameful, really.

    Jason Mraz is hot/as in terms of music/whatever... you got in early, like two months before everyone else, this song is all over everywhere at the moment.

    Highlight for the year: Uhmm.. Tasmania? No, I'm just thinking of events. Probably relationships and new friends that I've made, that's been really great.

    Something I've been struggling with: Like you, I'd say fear, but perhaps a totally different type of fear. Like the fear I had when I was a kid; scary but irrational.
    Also school has been a struggle, and moving out of home/in with my sister.

    Something I'm looking forward to:
    Summer! Getting my license, end of school... looking forward to Beach Mission more than usual because it will be exciting to see what we can do with the Rosebud team (like, maybe, X a million awesome?)

    Good blog, not sure why no one has commented yet...
    I like your answers to the kweschunz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Jason Mraz's latest album is my most currently played.
    2) Still pray for you (when I remember) about the fear stuff.
    3) I don't know if I'm coming on mission!? No more money.
    4) People don't comment on these ones, I think, because it is so long and requires a bit of thought into a response. Laziness wins a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Some songs are naughty, Like Butterfly. Some songs mention nintendo, like that one I forget the name of...
    2. Thank you.
    3. Yeah me niether really, but I'm not going all over the world like you.
    4.





    (#4 left blank intentionally. Like, it's a funny joke. You should laugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I like the songs like Butterfly and Make it Mine that have big bands behind them. Nintendo is in Dynamo of Volition, which he wrote in response to an email word game! ha. I read it somewhere. I like all.
    2) Welcome.
    3) I'm doing red frogs though! Woo. So if you happen to be going to Rye to celebrate, you may see Digger and myself.
    4) Chuckled.
    5) ..Not really.
    4)

    ReplyDelete