Tuesday, June 10, 2008

SYG '08

She said she like my K-I-S-S-I-N-G... haha. For those of you who don't understand... your bad.
State Youth Games was awesome this year. It was my fifth year and the best so far. I didn't win as much this year but I think that was also part of why it was so awesome. Usually I get pretty competitive and angry, but this year was great and all the teams I took part in had fun just mucking around and getting to know other people. Seeing people I haven't seen for ages, building friendships I already had with people from my own community, and meeting some people along the way made it such a good experience.
Particular highlight was B grade basketball against Ringwood. We decided that since we weren't going to make the finals, we'd declare the game 'Street Rules'. In other words... anything goes. Everybody was in the jump, there was switching of teams, illegal moves, flips on the ball, and plenty of non-regulation bumps. All in all, it was a great game and an equally good bit of SYG spirit between two teams.
The speaker, Kim Hammond, had a good, simple and relevant message. However, he did mention how heavily he'd been briefed beforehand on the diverse audience he'd be preaching to, and I sort of felt like that came through in his address. Quite a few years the message has felt a little bit restrained. In any case, he was a funny speaker with a message I agree with.
Oh, and uh... F GRADE AEROBICS was totally the first win of any team for SYG 2008. Our routine is probably the coolest choreographed dance/aerobics number I've ever been part of. Stay tuned for video, it will blow your mind.

4 comments:

  1. I am still waiting for that video to blow my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to wait a week or two, since we have to film it. But it'll be the greatest thing you ever see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The human bicycle totally blew my mind. Amaaaaaaaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking forward to putting that into some public performance ever since I saw it two or three years ago.

    The question is... what are we going to do next year? Argh!

    ReplyDelete