Sunday, November 05, 2006

Goliaths of the modern world

At church tonight, they talked about David and Goliath, and how David - a young person who was not very important to anyone - was ready to engage Goliath - the problem so big that an army of adults did not want to face it. Then the goliaths of today's world were discussed, such as poverty, and how each of us, as ordinary people, should be ready to engage and stand up to these problems.

The problem for me is, how many times have I heard people tell others to engage? How many times have I, myself, told people to engage? The best you get back is people telling you that you're inspiring and that you did a really good speech. But that's not why you speak - just for compliments. You speak because you want to make a difference, because you want to see people realising the power they have to make a change. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Maybe I'm too idealistic. But then again, any change is slow and it may be working in a way I just can't see. It's not that most people are bad, selfish or lazy - it's just that they find it hard to grasp that they can do something, and then how to do what they can do. It took me 18 years to realise that.

No comments:

Post a Comment